Friday, May 25, 2007

Fiero's and God's Will









I was just driving back from my lunch break and I saw a Fiero. Remember those? Click here.

During lunch, I was reading one of my favorite books "Man to Man" by Richard Halverson (I hope you don't get sick of me talking about it, because I may keep on for a while). I only wish it wasn't titled in a way that leads people to think it's only for men - because it's written for all humans. I still can't get over how brilliant the guy is. Here's some bits I read today.

"The blood of Christ cannot cleanse excuses, it only cleanses sin. 'If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.' I John 1:9

How that works is a mystery - but regardless - it only makes sense that God can only work on a sinful heart that wants to be made clean (and that has to happen by a willful admitting that there is something wrong that needs to be worked on).

Another great lesson:

Genesis 24:1-27

"Here is one of the most beautiful and practical incidents in the Bible demonstrating how the will of God is understood. The key to the passage is verse 27. Note the simplicity of the arrangement.
Knowing God's will is NOT complicated. "I being in the way, the Lord led me." The servant was "in the way", therefore, "the Lord led."
Man's side is to be "in the way." God's side is "to lead." Do not confuse these. They are two orientation points in knowing and doing God's will. God promises to lead the man who puts himself in the way to be led. Man does not have the responsibility to figure out God's will, this is God's part. Man's part is to be "in the way." Man's part is to be available.
However he does it, God will make known his way to the man who waits to walk in it. This is not an over-simplification. Count on God to lead, never mind how. He promises so to do! Be sure you are committed to His will, ready to be led, then depend upon Him to keep His side of the bargain. Whether or not you feel you are being led is immaterial. You have God's promise. Count on it! "I being in the way, the Lord led me."

So how does that work? I think it's about listening to our conscience -- to me it sounds like an internal whisper telling me what is the right thing to do. It's easy to drown out the small whisper sometimes with my selfish desires, but when I follow that whisper, I find that God upholds his end of the bargain and leads me to peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment