Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Problem with Believing in Jesus

















Have you ever known someone that says they’re a Christian, but they’re one of the most rotten people that you ever have known?  Of course you have.  We all have.  Chances are, they are someone that merely believes some Christian doctrine, vs. choosing to follow Jesus.  The danger of belief is that you can believe something, and still choose to ignore it as if it's not true. 

“Believing in Jesus” is probably one of the most confused Christian-isms of all time.  For a lot of people, believing in Jesus means that they’re “saved” because they correctly believe that Jesus was real, that he died and rose again and He’s God.  I can’t say that when I was young I didn’t used to think this way. 

Believing in Jesus for other people is a “choice” that they made because they had a “mountaintop experience” and prayed the “sinner’s prayer” and “invited Jesus into their heart” and maybe even were baptized so that they’re “saved.”

Some people were raised in a church and they have “inherited” a belief in Jesus. They’re Christian because their parents were Christian. They believe in Jesus because their family does, and because it’s the right thing to do. 

I’m not trying to patronize anyone that has belief in Jesus as described above.  There are parts of each of these examples that are in my own personal story.  

I share these examples of belief in Jesus because many people, myself included, can reduce “belief in Jesus” into a mental exercise of thinking we’re safe because we believe the right things about God.  Kind of like, we know the answers to the test, so we’re safe.  Believing in something is good – but it’s only the start of faith in the God of love.  You can believe that exercising is great for you – but the belief alone won’t give you a healthy heart.

The Bible says that even the demons believe in Jesus.  Believing in something can equate to absolutely zero life-change.

Instead of belief, I prefer to use the term “following Jesus” because it implies action. To “follow” implies that there is a leader, and it’s not me.  In comparison to “follow,” “belief” requires nothing of you – and again – who doesn’t believe that exercise is good for you?  I believe this, but it doesn’t get me to put on my workout clothes every day.  However, I can’t “follow” something without having some level of commitment. 

Jesus told us to follow him, because he knows that when we don’t follow him we will mindlessly follow lesser things that aren’t worth following such as ego, greed, power, and other things centered around our own self comfort. 

Belief is fresh vegetables in my fridge and running shoes in my closet, following is eating my veggies and getting my heart rate up.  Belief in Jesus is "Christian" on my Facebook profile and a Bible app on my phone, following Jesus is to strive every day to be like Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment