Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Have a safe October 31st!

Hi family, friends and enemies -- Happy Halloween! Halloween is one of my favorite holidays - I think because I like tricks, treats and scary stuff. I'm not one of the Christians that believe we shouldn't "celebrate" Halloween because of the pagan roots. I'm not summoning spirits or celebrating paganism. We're in a world that is fallen, and if you try to avoid everything that has connection to pagans you're going to paint yourself into the corner of a small room and NEVER be the salt of the earth that Jesus wants us to be. I think it's a dangerous thing for Christians to create a little Christian bubble that isolates them from non-Christians. Especially when participating in something as innocent as going door to door in a Sponge Bob Square pants costume collecting candy. If I wasn't a Christian and someone invited me to learn about their faith - where they don't participate in Halloween -- I'd think that they have a pretty legalistic faith that is ridiculous. Personally, I can't see Jesus telling kids to stay home and don't have fun trick-or-treating. I can see him saying to stay away from occult activities - but I think trick-or-treating is a bit different. If you really, really feel that participating in Halloween is a bad thing, then don't do it (you shouldn't, or else it is a sin for you) -- this is just my humble opinion and you have a right to yours as much as I do to mine. My only fear is that by drawing a circle around yourself so big that you're not participating in innocent holidays that are not even an echo of whatever their pagan roots may have been, you are creating a perception of a faith that is bit like that of the Pharisees. Have a safe October 31st!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:56 AM

    I agree that it is important to be relevant in this world. It is very easy to shelter ourselves in the name of the Lord. He has called us to be in this world, just not of it. (Does this play into your political discussion?)

    Is Madelyn dressing up this year? Elizabeth is going to be a ballerina. You'll have to check her website for pictures. Have a fun day!

    ReplyDelete