Tuesday, October 31, 2006

THAT IS IT. I'm selling my AK-47...

So I can't get off the subject of whether Christians should engage in war. Here's a passage in the bible I just remembered, that I think it has motivated me to sell all of my assault rifles:

This is Jesus speaking to his apostles before he sends them out:

"...take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff; for the worker is worth his keep." Notice he didn't mention to bring a sword - even though Jesus later in the chapter said they would face some serious haters.

he also says:

"...When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another." Again, says nothing about fighting back. He takes a more passive approach. Would Jesus have organized an army if force was going to help, or if it was important to protect the apostles if they started getting oppressed?

and one last thing in the same chapter that's strengthening my opinion that Jesus is not a fan of war or force:

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. "

So the argument that terrorists may come to America if we don't fight them overseas seems to be "being afraid of those that kill the body". Seems to me that we have bigger fish to fry -- caring about people's souls vs. people's safety.

Again, just talking this out. I used to be a big fan of fighting "just wars" and I thought I wouldn't change my opinion then, so even though I'm strongly leaning towards a "love not war" stance on things, I could change my mind if there is a theme in the bible I'm missing.

Love you reply posts on this one!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:46 PM

    notice how jesus didn't say to hold down a full time job...i quit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:53 PM

    kev,

    however...check out luke 22:36-37

    just wanted to give you the flip side to chew on as well.

    i'm still working thru these issues myself, so thanks for your banter.

    -t

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:32 AM

    First off, I don't know the answer to this discussion. I think it somewhat goes back to being in the world, but not of it.

    I do think that Jesus was trying to explain a new concept to the Jews. They had used force and war throughout history and thought Jesus was there to do the same - make an earthly kingdom for them and end Roman oppression. He was trying to tell them that a much greater kingdom exsisted for them. Now, does that mean that the persuit of freedom and equality on earth is "bad"?

    Jon might be interested in your AK-47. How much? :)

    ReplyDelete