Wednesday, October 25, 2006

War, huh, Good God Y'all, What is it Good For?

...I'm not sure?? I've been thinking about it lately and even though I have my opinion on most modern day issues for Christians, the war thing is something I still don't have figured out. Is any war "just?" What would Jesus do with situations like Hitler Germany, Rwanda, and now Darfur? Should people there not fight back? Should they turn the other cheek? Should we help them with guns and warfare? Or is there another approach that would help? I know that God hates injustice, but does he ever want us to be his "hands & feet" of justice in a violent way? Doesn't Jesus want us more concerned with the souls of people than with how comfortable they are on earth (even in oppression - I mean look at the apostles - they never fought back)? I think a lot of wars come about because people are concerned about our very temporary life here on planet Earth. I have a wife and a daughter and I hate the idea of potentially being blown up by a madman, but as a Christian I believe I should be concerned more about the eternal destination of my family and that madman - more than being concerned about killing him in his lost state.

Jesus says to turn the other cheek. Jesus saved humanity by hanging on the cross instead of by violence. This says to me that there has to be a way to help these oppressed people with ways other than violence. I'm aware that a lot of people would say this may be next to impossible with certain cultures, but most people would say the way that Jesus lived his life was pretty crazy. Also, if you want a case study that shows violence in a culture can be changed without war, check out End of The Spear (movie or book), a true story about how some missionaries went into one of the world's deadliest, most violent African tribes and -- you guessed it -- the tribe changed it's violent ways in a major way, because of a change in their heart.

I'm not claiming to have a perfect plan for solving the world's conflicts, but from what I read in the Bible it seems to me there could be a better way to start to solve them - the way of self sacrificial love that Jesus modeled. And war never changes the heart of anyone - but sacrifice does.

Please share what you think about this - I'm seeking the truth. I'm seeking to learn why in this age most Christian's think that war is fine, when it seems to me that Jesus modeled change by sacrifice. Please feel free to share with me any different insight you may have on this.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:03 PM

    i disagree with many of your points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:04 PM

    I agree that's a tough one. When women and young girls are being raped it is tough not to want to respond. Also, once you commit those crimes you should be punished. At that point you have sealed your fate which is death. Now should we be the one's to deliver that judgement? I guess if I saw a girl being raped I would not just stand there and hope that my peaceful gesture changed the minds of the aggressors. I would intervene and that as what we should do when there is a global injustice. Best case scenario let's get there before things have to get violent but in some cases we arrive late. Also, wars have so many other hidden agendas. Historically, it seems like most of the time there is a positive theme for fighting the war but behind the scenes men with power have other intentions. What about letting women rule the world? I think there would be less death and rape. Not to say I am advocating Hillary, she's a little much for me, but women like
    Momma-T. Bottom line, this world is fallen and crazy stuff is going on. Our response is many but one thing is to get out there and make a difference in the lives of people before such atrocities can happen.

    ReplyDelete